31 October, 2011

Ministry - With Sympathy - CD (1983), U.S.A.

The end of October is upon us and to get into the spirit of Halloween (sort of), here is Ministry's first album, With Sympathy. Before Ministry turned into an Industrial/Heavy Metal band, they once performed synth pop music, similar to Fresh Color, The Human League and Another Day. Hard to imagine, but it's true!
Conceived in 1981, in Chicago, Illinois, the early incarnation of the band consisted of Alain "Al" Jourgensen (vocals/guitar) and Stephen George (drums). Upon reading a bit of history about this album, it brought me great fascination to find out that front man Al Jourgensen really hated this album and went so far as disowning it! It seems that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, since the official Ministry website actually lists the album in the discography page, whereas before it was mysteriously absent. Perhaps Al had a change of heart? Another interesting aspect about this album, was the involvement of former Psychedelic Furs drummer Vince Ely, along with Ian Taylor (Romeo Void, The Cars,...) in the production department.
I find it intriguing and sometimes find myself wondering what it'd been like if Al had kept churning out this sound for years. As a matter of fact, I'll unabashedly state, With Sympathy is my favorite Ministry album! I never tire of listening to Effigy (I'm Not An), Revenge and Say You're Sorry. The pulsating fat synth bass lines, drum beats and Al's smooth whiney vocals really draw me in. I'd say the only song in the album that really fails to catch my attention is the idiosyncratic sounding What He Say. Although, your mileage may vary. Enjoy!

Details:

Ministry - With Sympathy - CD (1983), U.S.A.

1. Effigy (I'm Not An)
2. Revenge
3. I Wanted To Tell Her
4. Work For Love
5. Here We Go
6. What He Say
7. Say You're Sorry
8. Should Have Known Better
9. She's Got A Cause

Review

More Information:
Official Website
Official Myspace
Discography

1 comment: